Thursday, October 28, 2010

Long week and Dexter....


So, I know it has been a while. But, here I am again. It's been a hell of a week, busy, shitty, that sort of thing. (I always feel like, I am a downer on here) Oh, well it's my blog and I think I get inspired to write when I am not in a cheery mood.

Anyway, my house? Busy. Why? I work too much and we are getting ready for Halloween. The kids are going to look so cute though and Gabe is going to be my little monster. After a crappy week of course food is my comfort. I think, I am going to start posting recipes and would like to get your responses or reviews, if you try them (all four of you). Since, I started my cookbook again (thanks Sue for this idea) I am going to start posting my recipes.


Here it goes. So, Wednesday night during our season catch up of Dexter (which I love by the way, thanks Dena for getting me hooked!) I was craving something comforting since, lunches have consisted of PB&J because of lake of money to eat out.


Here was the menu:

Honey Glazed Pork Chops, Grits, Sweet Potato Casserole & Country Green beans:

Sweet Potato Casserole:

  • 2 cans of sweet potatoes in syrup
  • 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • Nutmeg to taste
  • 3 table spoons of brown sugar
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • Half and half
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • Marshmallow cream
  • Pecans (Crushed)
Empty sweet potatoes with liquid into a medium saucepan. Boil, uncovered until heated through and strain. Add half & half, butter and spices to the pot and beat with an electic mixer until creamy. Place in a medium casserole dish, top with pecans and marshmallow cream. Bake in the oven at 375 until top is golden brown.

Country Green beans:

  • Two cans of cut green beans
  • Ham (cubed) 1/4 pound
  • Half of a small sweet onion minced
  • Salt and cracked pepper to taste

Empty all ingredients in a sauce pan, over medium high heat for 15-20 min. Serve.


Honey Glazed Pork:

  • 4 to 5 Bone-in Pork chops
    Emerald Essence Seasoning (to taste)
  • Salt/Pepper (to taste)
  • Garlic Salt with parsley (to taste)
  • Garlic herb rub no salt added (to taste)
  • Honey for Glazing
  • 2 Table spoons of butter
  • 2 Table Spoons of Canola Oil


Pre-heat indoor grill/grill pan on medium high, add butter and oil. Season Pork chops and grill for 4 minutes per side or until Brown and crispy. Flip only once (you know when it is ready to flip when, you see blood from the bone, starts to surface.) Take off grill place on platter to rest. While hot, drizzle with honey over the top.

Honey Grits:

  • 1 cup Quick Cooking Grits
  • 3 cups of Milk (Yes, I make mine with milk, it's creamier)
  • Pinch of salt (kosher)
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • Honey (to taste)
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar

Bring liquid including butter to a slow boil, reduce heat to med-low. Add grits, sugar, salt and honey, until thick. Bring to slow boil, adjust grit consistency, by adding dry grits or more milk for desired thickness. Serve .

Let me know, what you think and leave a comment or two. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment