Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Here I am world, my first post.....Welcome to the 21st Century



I have heard blogging is very therapeutic and where I am at this point in my life I need all the help I can get. Instead of being on xanax or pay thousands of dollars for a therapist, maybe this is a way I can work through my "every-day-ness" or "mess" I should say if you knew my life. What I mean by this is the monotony of the daily grind, to set short term goals and actually achieve or finish something in my life.

The goal:Finish my bachelors degree before I am 30. (I am 24 if anyone is counting) And document my struggle or quest to achieve that goal. Sound familiar? I am probably the 1 millionth young mother that is doing this right now and you are probably saying, Yeah, tell something that I don't know, in today's' society/economy. But, if I am the only person that reads and posts this, than for only my benefit, then whatever....It makes me feel better.

So you say "So what happened?" "What has kept you from finishing things in your life?" I could go into the whole, I got married at a young age and had three kids, two of which were twins and the series of events that follow and how life just gets in the way and before you know it, you are in this dead-end career and feel like you lost yourself. But, I won't. The main thing is procrastination....there is always an excuse with me....and for once, which is a lot for me to say "I am just tired of talking about it and I am actually going to do it!"

So what motivates me now? My 25th Birthday is coming up in May and I just realized, I am almost to 30. Yes, I have a great husband and children and family. I have accomplished things but, for me? my career? what I wanted to really do in life? (mind you I would not change my kids or husband by no means)

But, timing....without this going into a pity party, let's just say I was watching a movie "Julie and Julia" and started laughing of how similar this person was to me. I am a huge movie buff, I might say and it is so typical and cliche that a movie motivated me to realized that I needed to do something with my life. (As the eyes roll now)

But, before you already say: "Oh she's just some carbon copy of this movie that motivated her and turned her life around and blah blah blah".... I got to thinking... we are all products of influence and if it wasn't for Julia Child for Julie Powell she would not have started that short term goal "cooking her way through Julia Child's cook book Mastering the Art of French cooking" that motivated her to blog about it and then write a book, which made it into a movie and now she is successful with a sense of achievement. If it wasn't by inspiration out of some elses work to move forward with one's own ambition then what the point of learning. I think we all learn and grow from surrounding people/influences. So, if it takes a movie to inspire me to get up an do something then, kuddos to her.

So, the other day I was in Walden Books who, is going out of business in my small town and I was looking for a book called Paper Towns....By John Green "the vlog brothers on youtube" (for all you, youtube pioneers out there)....seriously check them out....So, anyway there was, in the midst of the 70 to 85% off, sea of discount-ness and there it was. The book (not the one I was looking for, or the Bible) But, "Julie and Julia" the book....it was calling to me.....(and only $5.00 too) So, I picked it up and a few days later started reading.

When, they say the book is better than the movie, believe them! So much more detail and information than what the can fit in less than 2 hours. So, I started reading and man, I just had to laugh (again) of the similarities.....but, the one thing that stuck with me was the statement referring to Julia Child's Potage Parmentier (complicated and french for leek and potato soup) was..... "that it was simple but, not easy". I of course relating everything to food as I do, in fact had the same revelation she did. Although, the soup is simple, the recipe consists of Potato's, leeks, water, butter,salt and pepper) the preparation is not easy but, the goal or final product is simple and consists of simple ingredients.

So, my goal is simple but, it is not going to be easy....so here we go day 1 of this 4 to 5 year journey. Let's see if I can do it.....

"And so, late that evening , a tiny line dropped into the endless sea of cyberspace, the slenderest of lures in the blackest of waters...... Julie Powell was looking for a challenge. And in the Julie/Julia project she found it. Risking her marriage, her job and her cats' well-being, she has signed on for a deranged assignment. 365 days. 524 recipes. One girl and a crappy outer borough kitchen. How far it will go, no one can say...." Julia & Julia - Julie Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment